The Sunset Trail #90 is a short hike with good views of Sabino Canyon, sections of nice shade from big trees and access to the Marshall Gulch Trailhead. This is a great variation/alternate start for the Aspen Trail and Finger Rock Trail.
- Hike Type: Out and Back
- Hiking Distance: 2.6 miles
- Elevation Gain: 500'
- Elevation Loss: 500'
- Highest Elevation: 7,800'
- Lowest Elevation: 7,450'
- Location: This hike is located in the Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson, Arizona.
- Start/End: Sunset Trailhead (Top of the Mountain Hikes)
- Driving Distance from Speedway Campbell: 36.5 miles
- Driving Time from Speedway Campbell: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- Vehicle Access: Paved Roads/Passenger Car (Mountain Road - be careful of weather conditions!)
- Fee: No
- Dogs: Yes
- Bikes: Yes
- Drive East on Speedway (5.0 miles)
- Left on Wilmot and continue on Tanque Verde (4.3 miles)
- Left on Catalina Highway (27.1 miles)
- Signs will help you find this trailhead on the down-mountain side of the Highway.
The mileages and elevations below are approximate (don't expect the values below to match your GPS exactly).
- 0.0 miles, 7750′: Start from the Sunset Trailhead [Waypoint TH SS]
- From the trailhead take the lower road (to the left) – there is usually a trail sign here to help you start on the correct road. If you cross a gate or head immediately uphill you have taken the wrong road… The road soon becomes dirt.
- At the first intersection/parking area stay right/on the ‘main’ road.
- 0.25 miles, 7800′: At a junction take road 8A to the left. [Waypoint J 8A 8B]
- 0.35 miles, 7750′: At a signed junction the trail leaves the dirt road to the right. [Waypoint J FR8A SS]
- 1.0 miles, 7500′: The trail makes a sharp turn as it crosses a drainage – be careful not to follow the unofficial trail up the drainage. [Waypoint SS01]
- The trail soon enters Sabino Canyon, in places it can be difficult to discern the ‘official’ trail but all the possibilities stay in or near the canyon bottom.
- 1.3 miles, 7450′: The trail ends at the south end of the Marshall Gulch Trailhead. The Aspen Trail and Marshall Gulch Trail both leave from this trailhead. [Waypoint MG TH]
Right: Looking up Sabino Canyon towards Marshall Gulch. June 2014.
- (Printed Map) Green Trails - Recreation Map - Santa Catalina Mountains.
- (Printed Map) Southern Arizona Hiking Club Maps
2014 June Sunset and Marshall Gulch
2014 March Sunset Trail Storm
- 2017/8/15 – HikeLemmon posts added to resources
- 2017/8/7 – Img Srcset update, add several missing links
- 2014/6/25 – Initial page