Sunset from the Bug Spring Trail. February 2012
This popular hiking and mountain biking trail runs between the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Site area and Bear Canyon.
- Out and Back
- 9.3 miles
- 2,000' Elevation Gain
- 2,000' Elevation Loss
- Highest Elevation: 6,275'
- Lowest Elevation: 4,950'
- 21.6 miles from Speedway and Campbell
- 45 Minutes from Speedway and Campbell
- Vehicle Access: Paved Roads/Passenger Car (Mountain Road - be careful of weather conditions!)
Driving Directions from the Speedway and Campbell intersection in Tucson - Bug Spring Trailhead:
- Drive East on Speedway (5.0 miles)
- Left on Wilmot and continue on Tanque Verde (4.3 miles)
- Left on Catalina Highway (12.2 miles)
- Signs will help you find the turn into this trailhead.
The mileages and elevations below are approximate (don't expect the values below to match your GPS exactly).
- 0.0 miles, 4950′: Park at the Bug Spring Trailhead (Alternative: There is a connecter trail that leaves the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Site near the upper parking area at a large Forest Service Trail Sign).
- 0.05 miles, 4950′: Signed junction of the Bug Spring Trail and the connecter trail to the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Site – this connecter is part of the Arizona Trail Wilderness Bypass.
- 1.3 miles, 5500′: The trail crosses a canyon, there is a small waterfall/drop down canyon that is visible from the highway [Waypoint BST01].
- 2.4 miles, 5950′: The trail leaves the ridge and descends north into the canyon [Waypoint BST02].
- 2.7 miles, 5800′: Trail arrives at the bottom of the canyon east of Bear Canyon – the trail runs along stream (seasonal) crossing several times [Waypoint BST03].
- 3.5 miles, 5900′: The trail switchbacks up from the canyon bottom and then continues along the hillside of the canyon [Waypoint BST04]
- 4.0 miles, 6275′: The highpoint of the trail along the ridge east of Bear Canyon – from here the trail descends into Bear Canyon [Waypoint BST05].
- 4.5 miles, 5900′: Arrive at the Lower Green Mountain (Upper Bug Spring) Trailhead. There are not any services at this trailhead but there are bathrooms at the picnic area down the highway.