Driving Time and Distance from Tucson
- 1 hour and 5 minutes from Speedway and Campbell
- 33.9 miles from Speedway and Campbell
- Miles up Highway: 19.5 miles
- Side of the Highway: Down-mountain
- Vehicle Access: Most of the drive is Paved Roads/Passenger Car (Mountain Road - be careful of weather conditions!) - the last .5 miles to the Trailhead is on a dirt road that is sometimes rough/slow, but usually possible in most passenger cars (low clearance cars not recommended). Closed to motor vehicles in winter (December 15 to March 1 - dates subject to change depending on weather/conditions).
Fees and Services
- Fee: No
- Restrooms: No
- Water: No
- Organization Ridge Road is gated and closed to motor vehicles in the winter (December 15 to March 1 - dates subject to change depending on weather/conditions). Non-motorized travel is still allowed on the road during this period and the Bigelow Trailhead provides good alternate parking if you are willing to walk the road (walking the road is not exciting, but it is reasonably short and there are fewer people on the Palisade Trail once the gate is closed...).
Driving Directions from the Speedway and Campbell intersection in Tucson - Palisade Trailhead:
- Drive East on Speedway (5.0 miles)
- Left on Wilmot and continue on Tanque Verde (4.3 miles)
- Left on Catalina Highway (24.0 miles)
- Organization Ridge Road where the Palisade Trail is located is closed to vehicles and gated in the winter - in the winter park in the Bigelow Trailhead on the up-mountain side of the highway - if the road is open to motor vehicles:
- Left on Organization Ridge Road - the turn is slightly up-mountain from the Bigelow Trailhead and down-mountain from the Palisade Visitor Center. (0.5 miles)
- Organization Ridge Road is a dirt road and conditions will vary - sometimes it is rough/slow but it is usually ok for passenger cars (low clearance vehicles not recommended).