Driving Time and Distance
- 40 Minutes from Speedway and Campbell
- 21.3 miles from Speedway and Campbell
- Vehicle Access: Passenger Car/Paved Roads/Short Section of Passenger Car Friendly Dirt Road - take care pulling into the parking area, the entrance to the parking area is sometimes in rough condition.
Fees and Services
- Fee: No (There is no fee required at the parking area but the surrounding land is State Trust Land where a permit is required.)
- Restrooms: No
- Water: No
- The directions/mileage given here are for the largest/most popular/easiest to reach Golder Ranch area parking - there are other parking areas along the dirt roads in the area, some of which require high-clearance/4wd vehicles to reach.
- North on Campbell (3.5 miles)
- Left on River Road (2.2 miles)
- Right on Oracle/AZ-77 (13.7 miles)
- Right on East Golder Ranch Road (1.9 miles)
- Just before the parking area the pavement ends and the road bends to the right, the unsigned parking area is a large dirt area on the right (the parking area is before the cattle guard).
Driving Directions - Map
With the dirt roads in the area there are a number of other parking possibilities in the area – be careful if ‘exploring’ in this area, the land ownership in the area is a mix of private, state and federal land. There are two notable parking areas – one to the north, one to the south, that are best accessed with a high clearance vehicle – road conditions vary quite a bit and may be quite a bit rougher than you would expect so close to homes and major roads, take care!
- North: Instead of pulling into the main parking area turn left to take E Equestrain Trail northeast to a junction with FR642 (Baby Jesus Ridge Road) at a corral. At the junction take a right – because this area is used as a parking area you may have to look carefully to find where FR642 leaves the corral area – from here proceed as far as you feel comfortable – there is a good access point near the forest border.
- South: Instead of pulling into the main parking area stay right, across a cattle guard, to continue south on Golder Ranch Road. At a Y junction turn right onto FR 648 (Cargodera Canyon Road) and take that to the a large sandy parking area at the Forest Boundary – this is also the boundary of Santa Catalina State Park (Fee Area).
All Trailheads - Map
- 2017/8/5 – Img Srcset update, added information about the North/South parking areas