- Area: Santa Catalina Mountains - Lower Highway Hikes
- Google Map Coordinates: 32.30415723 -110.74524390
Driving Time and Distance
- Driving Time from Speedway/Campbell: 26 Minutes
- Driving Distance from Speedway/Campbell: 13.8 miles
- Miles up Highway: 0.0 miles
- Side of the Highway: Up-mountain
- Vehicle Access: Paved Roads/Passenger Car
- Fee: No
Trails and Trailheads
- At This Trailhead: None.
- Nearby Trailheads and Parking: Up-mountain: Hairpin Turn
- Restrooms: No
- Water: No
This is the start of the highway – while Milepost 0 is fairly uninteresting it serves as a reference point for mileages up the mountain – a useful navigation tool when you are trying to find parking areas.
Milepost 0 used to be marked by a small green mileage marker on the sign post below the ‘Speed Enforcement Zone’ and ‘No Parking’ signs just north of the Mount Lemmon Shortcut Road – but the marker is no longer present (it is visible in the the June 2011 version of Google Street View – gone in the April 2013 version). If you are measuring mileage up the mountain resetting your odometer somewhere between the Mount Lemmon Shortcut Road and the brown ‘Summerhaven’ mileage and services sign should be accurate enough… (Note that the brown mileage and services sign is accurate in stating that there are no gas stations along the highway!).
- Drive East on Speedway (5.0 miles)
- Left on Wilmot and continue on Tanque Verde (4.3 miles)
- Left on Catalina Highway (4.5 miles)
- Milepost 0 is no longer marked but is located between the Mount Lemmon Shortcut Road and the brown ‘Summerhaven’ mileage and services sign. This location is mainly useful when measuring mileage up the mountain when looking for a destination (there ARE other mile markers along the highway but they are surprisingly easy to miss...).
Driving Directions - Map
All Trailheads - Map
- 2017/7/28 – Img Srcset update