Right: Mint Spring Trailhead - looking towards Summerhaven. April 2014.
- Area: Santa Catalina Mountains - Top of the Mountain Hikes
- Google Map Coordinates: 32.44019819 -110.76600417
Driving Time and Distance
- Driving Time from Speedway/Campbell: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- Driving Distance from Speedway/Campbell: 39.4 miles
- Miles up Highway: 25.5 miles
- Side of the Highway: N/A
- Vehicle Access: Paved Roads/Passenger Car (Mountain Road - be careful of weather conditions!)
- Fee: No
Trails and Trailheads
- At This Trailhead: Mint Spring Trail
- Nearby Trailheads and Parking: Marshall Gulch Trailhead, Summerhaven
- Restrooms: No
- Water: No
- The Mint Spring Trailhead sometimes offers uncrowded parking on days when parking at the Marshall Gulch Trailhead or in Summerhaven is crowded and difficult. The Marshall Gulch Trailhead has picnic areas, nearby streams and restrooms - none of which the Mint Spring Trailhead offers, but the Mint Spring Trail is accessible from this trailhead and leads into the same network of trails!
- After winter storms pass the highway up the mountain is generally cleared and maintained so that travel into Summerhaven is easy for almost any vehicle - however side streets like Carter Canyon Road often do not receive the same level of maintenance and could still be snowy/icy even when the highway is clear.
Right: Small trail sign near the start of the trail. April 2014.
The Mint Spring Trailhead leaves from this trailhead – to get to the trail: from the paved parking area continue West a short distance on a dirt road (towards, but not onto, private property) and look for the trail leaving to the south – there is a large trail sign, but it is set back from the road and can be hard to see.
Right: Small trail sign near the start of the trail. September 2014.
The start of the Mint Spring Trail (off the dirt road beyond the paved parking area) - note the large trail sign is almost obscured in some seasons... If you walk onto the 'lawn' of the house (or by the house!) you have missed the start of trail. October 2013.
- Drive East on Speedway (5.0 miles)
- Left on Wilmot and continue on Tanque Verde (4.3 miles)
- Left on Catalina Highway (29.3 miles)
- Continue into Summerhaven on Sabino Canyon Parkway (0.3 miles)
- Right on Carter Canyon Road (there is a brown sign for Mint Spring which should help you find the turn) (0.5 miles)
- The paved road ends at the parking area and the road becomes a private driveway.
Driving Directions - Map
All Trailheads - Map
- 2017/8/18 – Img Srcset update, add all trailheads map