Today is the first of nine public meetings that the Coronado National Forest is holding in the Santa Catalina Ranger District to explain the details of the Developed Recreation Program and to gather input on potential solutions for restructuring the program – a quote from the CNF’s information page succinctly explains the issue:
The estimated price tag needed to ensure that the CNF’s 204 developed recreation sites remain open, safe, clean, and in good repair is $3.8 million. The combined revenue currently received to manage these sites is $1.3 million, leaving a gap of $2.5 million annually. Without action to close the gap, developed recreation facilities and recreation opportunities are threatened.
The suggested strategies to close this gap are Eliminate developed recreation sites, Transfer management of developed recreation sites to concessionaires or partners, Increase fees or Increase the number of fee sites with the additional suggestion that: “No single strategy will close the gap. Likely, a combination of strategies will align the CNF more closely with sustainability goals.”
The meetings are listed below and comments can be made online.
- ORO VALLEY –Tuesday, January 31 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Oro Valley Public Library, 1305 W. Naranja Drive, Oro Valley, AZ.
- ORACLE – Wednesday, February 1 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Mountain Vista School Library, 2618 W. El Paseo, Oracle, AZ.
- TUCSON EAST – Monday, February 6 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Murphy Wilmot Library, 530 N. Wilmot Road, Tucson, AZ.
- MARANA – Tuesday, February 7 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Marana Town Center, 11555 West Civic Center Drive, Marana, AZ.
- TUCSON NORTH – Saturday, February 11 from 1:00 to 3;00 p.m. at the Sabino Canyon Visitor Center, 5700 North Sabino Canyon Road, Tucson, AZ.
- TUCSON CENTRAL – Monday, February 13 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Himmel Park Library, 1035 N. Treat Avenue, Tucson, AZ.
- VAIL – Wednesday, February 15 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Rincon Valley Fire Station #1, 8850 S. Camino Loma Alta, Tucson, AZ.
- TUCSON SOUTH – Saturday, February 25 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Southwest Community Center, 5950 S. Cardinal Avenue, Tucson, AZ.
- COOLIDGE/MAMMOTH – Wednesday, February 22 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Central Arizona College Aravaipa Campus, 8470 North Overfield Road, Coolidge, AZ.